Monday, August 15, 2011

Eating My Words

A Beee-YOOOOO-ti-full day called for a picnic in our playhouse in our backyard.  The Mousekins were delighted that I had the idea!  Mickey volunteered to make the PB & J sandwiches.

It took a bit of effort for me to fit into the little house filled with The Mousekins, paper plates, drinks, and plastic dinosaurs.  (Mickey had set up a dinosaur museum)

As I sat down to indulge in my Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, I-out-of-curiosity- opened my sandwich to inspect Mickey's work.



Much to my dismay, the portions of Peanut Butter and Jelly were very very slim!  


I did not think I could stomach eating two pieces of dry bread with a faint taste of PB&J, so I said, "I don't have enough peanut butter and jelly on my sandwich, so I am going to go add some more"
~though the idea of unscrunchling myself out of my position on the playset was quite uninviting.

What happened next took me by surprise.

Mickey countered politely yet firmly, "Mommy, you should eat what is in front of you with no complaint!"

Turns out it appeared I was going to have to eat my own words.  Literally.  

Luckily one of the mousekins needed a refill on their drink and I quickly volunteered to serve them so I could sneak back in the house and slather a bit more peanut butter and jelly on my sandwich!  phew!

Its moments like this that my gratitude soars... soaking up the beautiful day, with my beautiful children, wishing time would freeze this moment forever.

I feel like I have a double personality sometimes.  I can go from a serene moment like this longing to never let go of my sweet angels.

 And literally five minutes later I can feel like I am on the brink of sanity 
as I am cleaning up pea off the bathroom floor-
-the mousekins are fighting over legos--
and the house looks like Hurricane Mickey and Hurricane Minnie have decimated everything in their path--
and the phone is ringing!
The description of sweet angels in my thoughts has morphed into maniacal monsters!

 Chaos reins and I wonder if I have what it takes to survive until the end of the day.

Then God--in His great, sweet mercy plants beautiful times in the midst of my day to just drink in the beauty of getting to be with my children. Their sweet voices and endless pictures they draw for me, their declarations of love, their utter joy when I take the time to sit and "be" with them.  What a treasure--and I want to hold it close forever...

until the mind-numbing chaos rolls around.... again!!!  

Yes, I feel like I might be on the brink of multiple personality disorder sometimes. 

No, you may not call me Sybill.

I go to the Nursing Home and see the adoration in the eyes of the elderly as they gaze at my angels/monsters. I remember the gift I have at that moment and it causes my heart to cherish the ups and the downs of this crazy phase called motherhood!  

3 comments:

Camille said...

Ahhh, I feel the same way as you! Well said. Glad you got to "fix" your sandwich. And it is good to know that our kids do actually hear what we say, even though they appear to not be listening most of the time.
-Camille

stackfamily said...

great post! and so true. I love the story of the PB&J, I can see that happened with our oldest:) and so true about feeling like multiple personalities! Sometimes I am afraid of who is coming out that day!:)

Rochelle said...

You are not alone! I completely relate to everything you wrote. Including your desire for more PB with your bread. :)
Great post!