Friday, October 8, 2010

Multi-colored Balls of Sugar! YUM!

Savoring each morsel.


Tomorrow is Mickey's 5th Birthday! We have planned a pirate party at the park tomorrow afternoon. It should be a balmy 80 degrees!! YES! Mickey then gets to camp overnight at the State Park with Daddy, Uncle and boy cousins!!! Today, though, we made some treats to take to Mickey's preschool. I was inspired by this post by my virtual friend Jamie who writes an awesome blog on managing her sons' food allergies. She has inspired me to try many new recipes via her blog and having a friend, although via blogging only, that understands our ups and downs with allergies has been a great blessing to me. Basically these are Rice Krispies, only I used Fruity Pebbles--rolled into a ball and stuck on a stick! It looks like a giant lollipop! HUGE HIT with the mousekins.

Here is the best part. Mickey handed out these treats to his classmates as they left today. I asked Mickey if the kids liked them. "Well, they didn't say, Mommy, but their eyes lit up like this (demonstrates )that showed they were excited, so I think they really liked them!"

Now I am not the sort of mom that usually does this sort of thing. In fact Hubby was acting like I had become someone else when he saw the shiny cellophane wrap with ribbon tied around the lollipops. But you know, I think its actually that Mickey has to be left out of so many "food things" that I wanted to let him be so excited to hand something out. And he is artistic and has a deep appreciation for "beautiful things". Me.. I like whatever is easiest.. not fussing much over trivial things, but Mickey is different than me and so I wanted to make it special for him.

There was two left after preschool, so the mousekins got to taste their creations! They loooooooooved them. Really, who would not love artificially fruity flavored balls of sugar?

Recipe:
1 half stick of butter or Earth Balance Sticks (dairy free)
8.5 cups of Fruity Pebbles
1 10 oz bag of big marshmallows ( I am sure the bag of little ones would work fine as well)
Popsicle sticks ( I got mine at hobby lobby)
cellophane sacks ( hobby lobby)

Microwave butter in big bowl until melted, add marshmallows and stir until coated. Microwave for 1.5 minutes or until marshmallows fully poofy and lost shape. Stir then press into greased 9 x 13 pan and use wax paper to press the top down. Wait 5 to 10 minutes until they are starting to set a bit, roll them into balls and stick in a popsicle stick. Let them set for a bit, then I put them in cellophane bags, tied a ribbon around the middle and there you have a fun, colorful, very unhealthy treat!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok - what are fruity pebbles?!?!

Mouseymom said...

Heehee, anonymous! You must be a healthy eater, live outside the United States or you were never a child! ;) Fruity Pebbles is a cereal.

Anonymous said...

I do live outside the United States, and all I know is that the US have a lot of different cereals than what we have here in Europe, hence my question.....

Mouseymom said...

Yes, I lived in Europe for a bit and I fell in love with a cereal that I have never found an equivalent for here in the US! Trust me, you are not missing out by not having Fruity Pebbles :) Thanks for reading my post! I feel honored to have an international reader!

Jamie Kaufmann said...

aw, thanks for the shout-out. these are so colorful and fun! i just realized the boys can have this cereal. look out, they will love it too much! move over cinnamon toast crunch! hugs to you guys!