Tuesday, October 6, 2009

YAY! Good News!

I am so tired... see previous post and you will understand why! So this will be a short post, just to let you know that Mickey was a TOTAL trooper at the allergist today. He got 12 pricks and only winced with each one. I was so proud of his bravery. My sister Gayla and her son Garrett met us at the allergist and that made it super fun for Mickey. He did not mind the appt. as he got to play dinosaurs with his cousin Garrett and that makes it a wonderful day to remember in his mind!

So on to the results

Shocking.

Seriously!

Not what we were expecting.

Everything came back negative. EVERYTHING! Even milk. And that was positive just a few months ago. So if the skin prick test is correct--that means NO new allergies and maybe even done with the milk one!!!

So this takes us back to one year ago this week. Mickey tested negative for milk and did an milk challenge where the doctor administers dropperfuls of milk over several hours. We then began our carefree life of happily introducing all the wonderful foods that Mickey had never tasted... ice cream, brie cheese...etc

One week later Mickey had hives after eating dairy and both blood tests (RAST) and skin prick tests (SPT) were a high positive.

Just so you know.. that is not normal. No, not a normal path for allergies. Last year, I contacted a renowned allergist via email and he said that he had never heard of such a thing happening. My allergist that we see now attended an Allergy Conference and she consulted with the top Food Allergist in the U.S and he said that he has never heard of that happening.

So actually I think my allergist is a bit excited to have such an unusual case on her hands. She can't wait to try milk and see what happens. She said that she might have to take Mickey with her to an Allergy Conference so that she can prove his case! ( I assume she was kidding:)

So I don't feel bad that his is such an uncertain case, I would rather it be uncertain than to not have any hope. And who knows, maybe Mickey's unusual case will cause a breakthrough in the allergy world.

So, my heart is lighter and I can't wait to sink into my bed and sleep... peacefully.

We are so thankful that there is no signs of new allergies. We will slowly reintroduce the foods that we cut out (rice, oats, wheat and flax). We are so thankful that we were even more blessed by the unexpected Milk result. I was not even planning on testing for milk but I am sure glad we did!

So sometime in the coming weeks we will first introduce Minnie to milk. Then Mickey. And who knows, maybe my neurological issue will be resolved!

We are so thankful for our loving, encouraging, prayerful family and friends who lift us up during these uncertain times. Yes, these last few months have had some hard times, but we are so thankful for the unconditional love and support we have.

My mom deserves an allergy award. I don't think that there is any other grandma who could be more supportive. She was here in an instant when the hives appeared. She filled my house with all sorts of alternative flours for baking when we had to avoid wheat, she came to the allergist with me today and treated me to sushi. She fasts and prays for us all the time...she just keeps on giving and I am so grateful!

Thank you for reading my blog. It is very therapeutic for me knowing that I can be pro-active in educating my tiny corner of the world about food allergies. It has also given me the opportunity to share more freely about our life with allergies and I feel less isolated as my blog readers grow in understanding about our challenges. So thank you for taking the time to read, respond and pray!

Hugs to all!

Tricia

8 comments:

amy said...

HUGS TO YOU AND GLORY TO GOD!! xoxo

Janelle said...

Wow!!! I can't believe it! Praise the Lord! How exciting!!

Rochelle said...

Wow! Hooray!

My favorite statement:
So sometime in the coming weeks we will first introduce Minnie to milk. Then Mickey. And who knows, maybe my neurological issue will be resolved!

Hope now!

Jen said...

Wow, that is great news!

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

We go for Witt's annual testing in December. Still so far away, but getting closer every minute.

SO SO SO happy for y'all!

Kirk and Keri Plattner said...

Praise God!

Wee said...

Thanks for sharing the great news! We're praising God with you!

smw said...

how have things progressed since this post? i browsed through some more recent ones, but didn't notice any big update.