Monday, October 5, 2009

Allergy Testing

I am procrastinating.

I don't want to go to bed. How can that be? Today I was counting down the hours until I could rest!!! But now, I am finding all sorts of things to do. Early tomorrow morning (Tues. morn) we take a long trek (2 hours) to our allergist and will do more allergy testing.

Last time we went I was concerned about Mickey and his terrified feelings about the skin prick test. This time, I am sure he will do fine and I am not worried about him, but instead find myself dreading the "results". I don't remember ever feeling so apprehensive about this!

I keep reminding myself that God has given us the strength to take on the many changes that come with new allergies.

I keep reminding myself that the first few months of "newness" are horribly overwhelming but then it will settle into a routine--with bumps.

I keep reminding myself that its not about us, its about bringing Glory to God no matter what our circumstances are. (Have I told you how much I love the bible study I am doing called Crazy Love? It has been awesome--especially during this uneasy time)

I keep reminding myself that Mickey absolutely loves his life and wakes up with a sparkle in his eye and joyful as can be...every morning. He tells me he LOVES being a kid and does not want to grow up. He is blissfully unaware of the challenges in his life as we are trying to ride the fine line of educating him while shielding him. We know he will have to take full responsibility some day, but we believe a four year old should have the chance to feel carefree as much as possible. He is not one bit burdened by anything. Except for Bible-less people.. but I will save that for a future post.

So what Mickey was eating when he broke out in major hives: oatmeal--with flax seed, wheat germ, rice milk, agave nectar ( honey alternative) and cinnamon. So those are the things we will be testing for. We drew blood last week for a RAST test but the results will not be in until Friday.

Of course I am mostly concerned that he would be allergic to oats, wheat or rice as that would be a MAJOR transformation in our life. Just avoiding this stuff for one week was really really hard. Poor Mickey, he kept requesting different stuff all week and I had to say, "ummm, no". He was most devastated at the fact that play-doh contains wheat.

So back to my procrastinating. I realize I am procrastinating as I just don't want tomorrow to come.

As if me putting of sleep will delay the onset of Tuesday.... ridiculous.. I know!

Well, dear friends, pray hard for us Tuesday! Will let you know, of course!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I'm sure you're already on the road, but I've been praying for you, and will continue to for the appt!! Let me know how it goes!

Janelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.