Monday, September 28, 2009

Have You Ever Pondered?

I love being a mom! And for some reason I am absolutely delighting in my children's stages right now. (okay, besides Minnie splatting her food to the floor with glee). My life would be so dull without the questions that I must ponder due to my very inquisitive Mickey.

Mickey: Why was Judas Iscariot named Judas Iscariot?

Me: (more interested in Facebook updates and so I reply half-heartedly) That is what his parents named him.

Mickey: (dissatisfied with my dismissive answer) But WHY did his parents name him Judas Iscariot?

Me: I don't know, that is what they wanted to name him when he was born

Mickey: Well, Judas Iscariot's parents died shortly after he was born, you know.

Me: (peeling myself away from Facebook after determining that perhaps this conversations demands my undivided attention) Really?

Mickey: Yes. (In all authority). Judas Iscariot had two parents and when he was born they named him Judas Iscariot. And then they died. When he was just a baby. And then he grew up, with NO PARENTS. And then he became a disciple. (His voice lowers and he shakes his head slowly as he says this next part).....And then Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus.

Well there you have it. The Oprah version of Judas. I just looked at Mickey with questioning eyes, unsure for a moment of what to say.

Mickey: Isn't that how it happened, Mommy? Is it true? (pregnant pause) Or is it a FIB!? (a new word in his vocab thanks to a new Pooh book I got at a garage sale this weekend)

And so the conversation continued...

Being a Mommy is so exciting. I mean really, who else gets to sit around and ponder why someone was named Judas Iscariot? I never really thought about Judas's past and what his childhood might have been like.

Its weird to think that even Judas was a cute little inquisitive boy at one point.

I love these conversations with him. I love how it expands my wonderings and notions. What a blessing to walk alongside our children and get pulled into their thought-provoking world!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love the topics that kids this age want to talk about.

It sounds like you have a very smart little boy on your hands.