Sunday, September 13, 2009

Family Matters!

This is my family!
It consists of the following:
2 parents
3 daughters
3 son-in-laws
9 grandchildren (1 of which just started college)
1 German Foreign Exchange Student (front row blue shirt)
You can double click on the picture to enlarge it.
We were in Michigan for the Labor Day weekend and my oldest sister hosted us. It was so fun to be with the whole family as it does not happen with so many busy schedules. We enjoyed Settlers of Catan--my family never tires of this game. I do, but the rest can't get enough. Sand volleyball was a first and it was a blast. Usually I shy away from any sporting activity as I am not gifted with any coordination, but I played and had great fun because they all played at about the same level as me!
I should have known that bad volleyball skills would run in the family!
Speaking of althletic abilities...my two sisters left the family fun for a few hours to go to the gym and work out.
Not me.
I opted for three trips to Coldstone Creamery and two trips to TJ Maxx. So coming out of the weekend I am fatter and poorer.
My college age niece gave me some of her clothes that she has shrunk out of so I will be undeniably cooler looking in the weeks to come. She also talked me into buying a scarf--the fashion accessory kind. I feel weird wearing it--so I have not yet. Me and fashion accessories is a walking oxymoron.
And we got family pictures taken! My family is very adverse to family pictures so we make it as painless as possible. There is no dress code, and it will be done with VERY quickly! So my sister's friend Chris Cavaliere showed up with his mighty looking camera and got a great shot! Our family pictures will never be color coordinated or themed but by golly we are all in and that is what matters. And the best of times come when sisters are primping. Many heartfelt moments and memories are shared beneath the cloud of hairspray and warmed by the blazing heat of the many hair appliances.
All good things must come to an end, and so we all left Michigan and went to our separate and busy corners of our world.

6 comments:

freid207 said...

Yes, I well remember watching in awe as you and your sisters curled every strand of hair while crowding in front of your bathroom mirror. And I can remember your hair for the MEPO High cheerleading pictures and thinking my hair could never look so lovely. And so immovable!

Love the family photo...and I must say Jason is looking very metrosexual in his facial scruff.

Rochelle said...

Favorite quote: So coming out of the weekend I am fatter and poorer!

Oh, dear girl! You crack me up.

Also, for as unplanned as the family photo was, I thought the mix of colors was quite complimentary! It was a delightful, joyful picture!

Jen said...

That is a great family picture!

Anonymous said...

Loved the family picture! It really makes me miss you and Gayla!! Tell her I said hello. Glad you could all be together.

Penny

Wee said...

Great family! Great memories!

Amy Cherise said...

i'm not sure if i should smile or cry at this picture...to think this was just a few miles a way from me at that time!! love you dear friend and the family. xoxo