Monday, July 27, 2009

Mom's 60th Birthday Party and update

You may remember about a month ago when mom and I celebrated her 60th birthday with Sushi and a walk along the banks of the Mississippi.


Well, this past weekend, my sisters and their families were home, so we had planned on a Ladies only party to celebrate mom. Our friend Barbechan Korver catered the event and she did an AMAZING job! She made a braided bread stuffed with roasted beef, onions, green peppers, mushrooms and cheddar cheese, veggie pizza ( a family fave), and a gorgeous fruit arrangement! My aunt Jane made the cakes and a fabulous coffee drink! Click here to get the recipe! Thank you to my sister-in-law Jodi for giving me that recipe.

The most amazing part of the night was when my Grandma read aloud the story of my mother's birth. My Grandma can paint pictures with her words and she read it with such poignancy!

Then several of us read aloud letters that we had written, our words of love and affection, our favorite memories and so on. There was much laughter and mom felt so loved.

My mom does so much for me that I delighted in helping create a night that honored my mom so much.




The food was a hit!


mom looked smashing in her tiara!!!

Mom has such fun friends. They all have loved us girls for as long as we can remember. They have logged plenty of hours praying for us through our different crises as they are Mom's prayer warriors!


mom and her three girls!




Mom with her daughters and granddaughters!


Thank you God for a wonderful night!


My last post was about my impending MRI. Thank you for your prayers. I made it and it was not really that bad! Hubby was so sweet. They let him come in the room with me and he talked to me the whole time and prayed with me. I did a lot of praying during the MRI and I thanked God for such a loving husband.
Next week I have an EMG where they will put needles in my muscles and test the nerves. Then I will have a follow-up appt. with my Dr. to discuss the findings. My heart gets sick when I think of the possibilities that day could bring. I do also consider the joy that day could bring if nothing serious shows up. I continue to have symptoms and the last couple days they have worsened which has been scary for me.
I keep my nose in the Psalms, focus on the words of encouragement that so many people have blessed me with, and try to not let my mind wander to the what-ifs of next week. Sometimes I am successful and other times I sink into despair and I cry my heart out. Having a child with special needs makes me worry more about what would happen in my absence.
Seriously, trusting in God is hard work. I never realized how hard it was before. But I now see that Satan is constantly trying to drag us to despair. Trusting God is not passive, its totally proactive! I have to ask for His forgiveness daily as I am becoming more aware of my failure to trust Him.
I do need your prayers.
I would love it if these symptoms could just disappear!
God can do that!
I hope He does!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Still standing in the gap for you. By the way, what you said about your grandmother being able to "paint a picture with words". Well, you definitely inherited that from her. I can always picture everything you tell me in words or over the phone. Like the story about the sunglasses...I lived every minute and laughed out loud!! I miss you -