Sunday, May 17, 2009

Not So Much the Nurturer!

Today in church our pastor touched on some of the differences between men and women. This is one example that he gave: If four women named Sara, Molly, Kate and Dana went out to lunch; they would talk, chat and refer to each other as Sara, Molly, Kate and Dana.

Now if four MEN named Bill, Bruce, Caleb and Drew got together, they would shoot the breeze and refer to each other with such names such as Scrub, Doofus, Worthless and Tanker.

Well I am reporting on another difference between men and women as seen in our house.

Nature vs. Nurture

Mickey (age 3) had his first splinter. He was pretty much okay with the idea of a splinter until he saw sharp instruments such as my trusty tweezers come forth. He wailed at the very idea of the tweezers as he stared fearfully at the pointy ends.

Mickey: "Please just leave it in me forever!!!"

Mouseymom (me): "Oh No honey, it could get infected and it would be sore and you would feel sick " (trying not to cause any alarm)

Mickey: "I am scared. I can't do it!" (tears)

Mouseymom: "Lets pray for courage. The Bible says that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" (prays with Mickey asking God to give him courage and to not be fearful)

Mickey: (after prayer) "It didn't work!!! I don't have any courage, its all gone! I just can't do it!"

Mouseymom: In every effort to encourage and instill confidence, "I believe that you can choose bravery by letting mommy take this splinter out. You ARE courageous!" ( gave examples of his unmatched bravery) Mommy loves you so much (lavish praise and adoration)

"I Love you Mickey and I would NEVER do anything that would be bad for you. This will hurt a tiny bit, but not much"( I am a big believer in giving the honest truth to children)

Each time I would raise the tweezers a millimeter, Mickey would sob, hide his hand, "no, NO!!"

Mouseymom: "Lets take some deep breaths to help you calm down".

inhale....

exhale... (repeat slowly 5 times)

Deep Breaths go fine.

Panic sets in as tweezers resurface.

Mouseymom gives up as Hubby is home and proceeds with supper.

I was gone for the evening and when I got home, Hubby says, " Oh, I got the splinter out!"

I whirled around.... stunned, amazed!!!

"HOW!!!????"

This was my husbands reply:

"I said to Mickey, if you don't let me take this splinter out, you will DIE! Do you want to DIE?"

I stared at him in disbelief, one eyebrow raised.

He shrugs... "It worked."

How much is children's therapy anyway?

8 comments:

Shaina Pearce Photography said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha! Awesome!

Rochelle said...

Oh Tricia, I love it. It is so fun to read stories about your sweet kids. You were doing so well trying to encourage him - it just doesn't seem fair! :)

Janelle Ringger said...

I was also sure that our neighbors would send in Social Services to take my children away every time I had to remove a splitter. Screams and wails would shake the entire house. Why is that? Why are they so afraid? Clearly they have never had grandpa remove an ingrown toenail...now that is pain.

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious.

Got to love how men round us out - huh?!

Ema said...

a lot of money, trust me! ha ;)

Kirk and Keri Plattner said...

Tricia~
That is so funny and so true about our differences! I enjoy your posts so much because I can just hear you saying what you write. It makes me miss you!

Wendi said...

I'm so laughing at this, because it doesn't surprise me one bit that Hubby did that. It probably comes from all those stitches he got when he was young.

Amy Cherise said...

LOL!! Love this post! Once again, our dear husbands help keep things in perspective!!! love from atlanta!