Monday, May 4, 2009

Dairy Free Pizza-A Quick Meal Idea!

One of the hardest things about food allergies is that you can't just say, "Oh , we don't have time to go home.. lets just eat out", or let's just order in pizza!" We miss the flexibility of being spontaneous. So its really nice to have some "quick meals". Solomon's favorite meal is pizza. Let me correct that... cheese-less pizza. Now I know that many of you are thinking that cheese is the ESSENCE of pizza...well, not so in our house!

Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous so we maximized our day outside which means very little cooking goes on indoors. So last night we had pizza and I wanted to share how we do it and actually enjoy it! Keep in mind we are going for quick and easy!

We buy the pre-made crusts Called Mama Mary's Gourmet Pizza crust and it is found in the grocery aisle with the pizza sauces and pizza kits. It is not refrigerated. It comes with two 12inch crusts inside the packaging. There are three different types of crust and our favorite is the Original. I would love to try the whole -wheat crust but it is manufactured on equipment that also processes dairy, so stick with the Original or Thin and Crispy. This crust is probably the only non whole-grain thing that I buy.

So you set the two crusts on cookie sheets, and brush them with olive oil. I like to add fresh crushed garlic to the olive oil. Then we use Contadina pizza sauce (or any milk-free pizza sauce) and top with browned hamburger, mushrooms and olives. (Fresh basil or spinach is great too) Bake for 10 minutes and a delicious milk-free pizza is enjoyed by all! Its very quick, easy and child-helping friendly! Mickey loves putting the sauce and all the toppings on the pizza by himself!

Except for the browned hamburger... everything else is non-refrigerated and can be kept in the pantry for an extended time making it ideal meal for a last-minute meal!

4 comments:

Amy Cherise said...

Tell Mickey he can always come to Cole & Sophie's house for a dairy-free pizza! Love you!

Janelle said...

Ahhh...my dream. A quick pizza. We don't have any pre-made dairy-free pizza crusts in any grocery stores in our town. So, I'm stuck with making my crust all the time. You definitely seem to find more dairy-free stuff than I do!

Lynette said...

sounds great!

Becky @ Boys Rule My Life said...

I'll have to give that a try... I'm not always pleased with the way DF cheese melts. Sometimes it's good sometimes not so good. Maybe I should just leave it off next time! :)