Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Germ-a -phobic!

I have been accused of being a germ-a-phobic! Its true, i don't share drinks with anyone, especially not my children, but not even my sweet hubby! I gingerly line public toilet seats with toilet paper and never ever touch the door of a public bathroom. I became this way because I went on vacation with my grandparents to Florida when I was 8 years old and my grandma painstakingly drilled the fear of germs into me that week. It has stuck by me forever. I spent an entire week training on how to use a public bathroom without touching anything strange... however, my grandparents did lose me at Disney World.. but at least I did not have gross hands! I still have flashbacks of being surrounded by a sea of people and desperately looking for a familiar face. A tall man was holding his son and said, " see, that's why I have to hold you. Do you see that girl? She is lost, she will probably never see her family again!" Now I had been holding it together until that point.. but that really sent me over the edge! Obviously the story has a good ending as I happily lived out the rest of my childhood with my family!

Anyway... back to the germ thing. (if you choose to follow this blog be prepared for many rabbit trails that may or may not have anything to do with the original intention :) Well apparently my 9 month old daughter does not share my abhorrence for germs. You see, I was blow drying my hair and both of my kids were playing on the bathroom scale. I heard my 3 year old say, "Minnie , that's DISGUSTING!!" Now that got my attention! I whirled around to find my baby girl happily scooping toilet water into her mouth. My stomach started churning and I felt nauseated. yuck. double yuck! I immediately cleaned her up and thought I was recovering until I saw her rolling her tongue around in her mouth like there was a foreign object present. I extracted a wad of toilet paper. I am almost dry-heaving having to write this again. Yes, the toilet paper came from the water. gag. So now our baby sneaks off to try the toilet thing again and again. She is very sneaky. Somewhere deep in our storage room is a contraption that keeps the toilet lid down and requires a wee bit of mechanical aptitude to use the toilet! Guess we better start digging for that!

7 comments:

Janice said...

Tricia, clearly you need more kids to help you kick the germaphobia! Our youngest has recently discovered the toilet as well, and the toilet brush. I am fortunate though that he has not used them at the same time, unless he wants to clean the toilet, then I would be ok with that. :D

Rochelle said...

Oh bother! That is quite repulsive. You crack me up, Tricia!

Mary Jo said...

this is a test....

Mary Jo said...

testing....

Rachel Miller said...

First of all, how traumatic about being lost at Disney World. I cannot imagine!!
Second, as my father says whenever someone thinks that he is too much of a germaphobe "Well, I am sorry that I believe in the germ theory of disease."
Third, The first time Josh and I left our children over night was last summer. Madeline was 3 and Nora was 18 months. I called my mom to check how my girlies were doing and she nervously said, "I learned that you never want to hear Madeline say, 'you are not going to believe what Nora just did'." Turns out that Nora and Madeline were having a tea party and Nora, unable to turn on the faucet for her water like Madeline, was having her tea party with the toilet water. I am pretty sure there was no toilet paper wad involved (gag reflex kicking into gear) but horrifying none the less.
:)

Jane said...

Oh, Tricia! What a delight to be connected with you in this way. I love it!

Shane and Laura said...

Germs...strengthen the immune system :-) At least that's what I tell myself, like the time Gage dropped his gum out of his mouth onto the road and promptly put it back in and started chewing away! His justification, "It's ok, I brushed it off." I tried not to think about how we live right in the midst of Amish and what all has graced our lovely road over the years...or that day just a couple feet away!